Welcome

Welcome to my blog!!

I'd love to have you among my "followers". You don't have to read my ramblings.... just follow.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Southwestern Rice & Bean Salad


First let me say that I absolutely hate kidney beans, and I would rather not eat any rice, thank you. Now that I have that out of the way... I have a really great recipe for summer. It goes together in an instant (well, almost), and most everyone loves it.

I first made this salad from a recipe I saw in the newspaper in California many years ago. It was perfect to take to the VFW for pot luck suppers, where the men just loved it. Then, I moved to New York, and lost the recipe. I started searching the internet in the year 2000, and finally found it this year. I am so happy to have this recipe again. I just hate living all summer with salads that contain mayonaise. Much as I like them, it is nice to get away from them from time to time, and in spite of the kidney beans and the rice, I love, love this salad.

To give credit...... The recipe is from Jeanne Chapel - Fatfree Digest - adapted from "Country" magazine.


2 C cold cooked long grain rice

1 16oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 C Whole kernel corn

1/2 C Sliced green onions with tops

1/2 C Picante sauce

1/4 C Bottled fat free Italian dressing

1 ts Ground cumin


Combine all ingredients---- Cover and refrigerate 2 - 3 hours.


That's It!!!!!

So easy, and really quite good. I Would like to hear if anyone tries it.

1 comment:

  1. That actually looks pretty good. Have never tried rice in a salad.

    ReplyDelete